LUPEC Seattle Dismantling the Patriarchy…one drink at a time!

Ladies for the Preservation of Endangered Cocktails, Seattle Edition!
We try to meet up once a month in the area's best cocktail bars to try tasty libations made of gin, rum, tequila, whiskey, etc.
Occasionally we throw a party and use our power to raise money for local charities.

Follow the fun!

Thursday, December 2, 2010

10 Q's for a LUPEC Lady- Sonja Groset

1) what is your name, your LUPEC cocktail name & why did you pick that?
 
Vesper, because it sounds like either a fast Italian sports car or the name of a stripper. Plus, it was my gateway drink to Gin and it's delicious. Further proof that Lillet makes everything taste amazing.

2) what is your profession?
 
Web Producer to pay the bills; Food Writer to subsidize my passion for cooking and eating. I just started writing reviews of cookbooks and cocktail books for the Seattle Weekly online at http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/voracious/cooking_the_books/

3) What was your favorite cocktail before you new any better?
 
Rum and Coke: "Teaching teens to drink for decades."

4) What's the worst cocktail ever and where did you drink it?
 
The worst cocktails I've had are the ones I've made myself at home. I'm not great at improvisational cocktail making. For me, it's like baking - all about precision. Maybe someday I can riff a great cocktail...but I have many more years of training. It'll be hard work, I know. 

5) If you could ban 1 drink what would it be?
 
Anything in a souvenir glass.

6) If you could have a drink with anyone, living/dead, who would it be and why?
 
For me, the best drinking partners are ones that are hilarious, energetic and chatty. For those reasons, Amy Sedaris would be my drinking partner of choice. Plus, she's a great writer, baker and craftaholic. She has a book called "I Like You: Hospitality Under the Influence." That's my kind of gal!

7) What are your favorite non cocktail activities/hobbies/interests?
 
Cooking, baking and snowboarding. I'm obsessed with my three cats - and all animals to be honest. My husband and I are in the process of remodeling our Mid-Century Modern home, so MCM design and anything DIY. Also travel, beer and wine. Especially wine tasting while traveling, while drinking beer. I have a food blog at satisfythecraving.com where I generally write about it all. 

8) How did you first hear about LUPEC?
 
Twitter - where I seem to hear about all great things these days.

9) What is your go to drink or spirit?
 
Manhattan. Anything with Bourbon really. Or just Bourbon, neat.

10) What is your favorite cocktail bar and/or bartender right now?
 
We visited the Jimgerman Bar in Waitsburg (near Walla Walla) and can't stop talking about it. We had some great cocktails. Jim uses lots of fresh juices and herbs in his drinks. He made a Gin convert out of my husband which I had not yet been able to do (see question #4). Plus Waitsburg is an adorable town and is a great side trip from Walla Walla.
 
Do be sure to check out Sonja's blogs if you haven't already.  She is a great writer, dedicated drinker and a hell of a good time to be around! Thanks for being in our spotlight Ms. Vesper!

1 comment: